Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Aaah-waaaaaaah, oo-woah-oo-woah-woa-oh!


I don't know why, but I do. I like the "American Idol", what with the star making, and the faux controversies, and the results after the break, and the preparing of girls for Tony Romo to date. Mind you, I don't like the tryout stages, where half of it is filled with "look at me!" losers. Seriously, how did that many of America's late-teens/early 20's people get that sad and flamboyant? Of course, if you had these type of people trying out for the St. Louis Rams each summer, that would certainly liven up preseason.

And that's what "American Idol" is - football season for those who don't follow football. It lasts about as long, there are basically 16 or so games. I think the preseason blows, some people really get into it. If you suck, Jay Leno will weakly make fun of you in a "Tonight Show" monologue, e.g., Sanjaya or the Detroit Lions. Someone who can get to the final 8 of a talent search that has tens of thousands try out is considered a loser. People in the crowd make signs with FOX in them to get on TV. Ryan Seacrest is your Jim Nantz (Dunkelman is your Bryant Gumbel). Some of the most rabid fans are borderline insane. Offshoot industries are supported by the machine - Idol magazines, half the stuff on the TV Guide channel, the love affair with Entertainment Weekly.

Is there an AIFL? On a quick search, I've seen two - a and b. What I'm seeing out there is a lot where you make your own picks on who's advancing or being eliminated each week. Fine, I guess, kinda NCAA-bracketlike. But what I like about fantasy football or basketball is you've got a team, you stick with it. You pull for them or you make a trade or hit the waiver wire. I say do it this way: hold the draft right before Hollywood week, pick a certain amount of boys and girls, get points for making the final 12; get points for being declared safe, less points for bottom three but then safe, no points for elimination. Trading deadline is when the cutoff is made for the group that goes on the Idol tour that summer.

Anyway, there are six Idol contestants left. There are also six NBA teams in first round games tonight. There are 2 strong favorites in the competition, David Archuleta (8/11 favorite to win it all) and David Cook (13/10). Two teams tonight have 1-0 leads and looked really strong, New Orleans and Orlando. The two Davids will keep moving on, and the Hornets -4 and the Magic -6 are two of my picks tonight. (I also like the Hornets over 193.) I compare Jason Castro to the Suns +2 - funky enough to get things done, a real longshot to win the title, but will definitely make things interesting along the way. Plus, I see the Suns willing this one tonight - if Shaq's got anything left, it's gotta come out tonight.

I think the 3 ladies left will be the bottom 3 tomorrow. Syesha Mercado - she keeps trying to copy vocal powerhouses like Whitney and Mariah and coming off like a cheap knockoff. Hmm, that's kinda like Avery Johnson of the Mavs coaching style. Carly Smithson was an early favorite, already had a big deal, now looking to recapture glory after gaining US citizenship - just like Tim Duncan (both tattooed!). And I really like Brooke White, but she just doesn't have enough to win, sadly, like the Raptors whom I really like as well. Plus, I think Jose Calderon first came over to the US as an au pair.

As a bonus tonight, I like the 2 home teams in NHL game 7's, Washington -155 and San Jose -200. Home ice isn't the end all be all in pucks, but I think these teams' star players tip the balances in each of their favors, or favours as they write where Robin Sparkles comes from.

Units wagered: 1
Units to win: 31.78
Result: Loss
Units +/- to date: 30.79

No comments: