Saturday, May 3, 2008

I fear you're underestimating the sneakiness



Today is one of the sneaky good sports days of the sporting calendar. You've had the NHL playoffs, now in round 2, and it's been 3 years - you should have found Versus by now. NBA playoffs are a-rollin'. Say what you will about the schedule, there's always going to be games on the weekends. Beisbol is in full swing ("swing" is a baseball term by the way). Personally, I can't stand baseball in April, so right about now is when I hop on board. You mean to tell me the Rays don't suck? And the Giants do? Well, that I can buy. And I'm sure all week you've heard about the Kentucky Derby (a fantastic event to go to - I went the Funny Cide year). I could drink mint juleps all day if it weren't for something like responsibility. Heck there might even be a golf tournament or 2 on (Wachovia Championship in Charlotte).

Then the first Saturday in May shows up and you realize - damn, that's a good sports weekend. Why didn't someone tell me? Well here it is, my friend. Breathe it in with oh so much pollen.

First, Thursday night's closeout of the Sixers is just the type of win that Dee-troyt Bas-ket-bawl! will suck you in with these last few years. When it's on, it's all on for the Stones. Why don't we see it more often? There'll be a point in tonight's game when you look at the Magic and see them holding close and realize, hey, they have pieces. Of course, Dwight Howard; Rashard Lewis - intriguing; Hedo Turkoglu; heck, even Keith Bogans does some good things. I don't consider Jameer Nelson too much of a piece, but I thought that the Raps PG's would run roughshod. That wasn't necessarily the case (maybe just a little shod). Plus, Keyon Dooling will be around for a little heavy lifting. I'm not sold enough to money line them, but if Philly can steal a game 1, why not the Magic? Magic +6-1/2 (-110)

I love the other series starting tonight, Hornets and Spurs. I'm so glad I've had Hornets on my fantasy team recently. What a great team to follow - a firm solid rotation, players at every position putting up numbers (let's say that MoPete doesn't really have a "position"), and young enough so you could conceivably follow them for ages or until someone does something stupid, like want a max-contract but not want to be the man. NO has done a great job against the Spurs this year, especially in their non-rodeo arena. I have a feeling many out there are picking the Spurs to win the series, mainly because they are the Spurs and they win post-season series. SA had one great game (3) against Phoenix. I think they are ripe to be beaten. I like the Hornets -3 (-110) today, although I am a hair suprised by that line, since I would expect the Spurs to be an active play, as more people know them. I see it opened at 3-1/2, so maybe that is what's going on.

Finally, I'm going for one puck tonight. I know it's shaky, goalie-wise in Royal Mountain, but I feel home cooking is enough tonight - Canadiens (-165).

Bonus plays:

Hornets to win series (+120)

Dwight Howard pts. + rbs. over 35-1/2 (+100)

Duncan (-1/2) more rebounds than Chandler (-115)

Kentucky Derby: Pyro across the board (3 units)

Units wagered: 6

Units to win: 4.85 on parlay

Results: Lose

Units +/- to date: 27.41

No comments: